BeamReaders encourages dental professionals to use the guidelines and resources of the Image Gently Alliance when imaging their pediatric patients. The Image Gently Alliance is a coalition of health care organizations dedicated to providing safe, high quality pediatric imaging worldwide.
One size does not fit all...
When using radiography during pediatric dental procedures remember:
- Select x rays for individual’s needs, not merely as a routine
- Use the fastest image receptor possible: E- or F-speed film or digital sensors
- Collimate beam to area of interest
- Always use thyroid collars
- Child-size the exposure time
- Use cone-beam CT when appropriate
- Use dose cone-bean CT option if available and appropriate
So when we image, let us image gently: More is often not better.
Full details can be found on https://www.imagegently.org/Procedures/Dental